CALL FOR COMMUNICATION VOLUNTEERS AT UYAHF
Are you an enthusiastic, goal-driven young person who is passionate about communication? Are you skilled in creative writing, photography, graphic design, animations, social media influencing, videography, and production?
Would you like to work with a promising and growing civil society organization that works to advance quality health and well-being of young people?
Well, if your answer is yes, then look no further because at Uganda Youth and Adolescents Health Forum – UYAHF we are looking for passionate and result-oriented young people who are communication enthusiasts with specific skills in creative writing, photography, graphic design, animations, social media influencing, videography, and production?
If brought on board, you will be our communication intern/volunteer working in our creatives, innovation, and communication department and earning a monthly stipend in addition to many other benefits working a few hours a week.
Uganda Youth and Adolescents Health Forum (UYAHF) is a youth-led and youth-serving health, human rights, and girl cantered organization that seeks to advance the quality health and well-being of young people. Specifically, UYAHF seeks to promote, young people’s sexual reproductive health and rights, maternal and child health, enhancement of gender equality and empowerment of women and girls, and promotion of youth entrepreneurship, innovations, and skills development.
Key to our overall mandate is several strategic approaches that include among other things advocacy and creative communications, social behavior change communication, gender transformative approach, human rights-based approach, innovations, and digitalization among others.
Creative and strategic communication is central to UYAHF’s work as a strategic approach through which we package and deliver our programs, campaigns, projects, and interventions to the intended audience of young people, state actors, and non-state actors, societal leaders, opinion leaders among others.
We believe that communication is not a one-man’s role but rather a collective outcome of results from a team of passionate, skilled communication enthusiasts.
As guided by our communication strategy, UYAHF has in place a standalone creative, innovation, and communications department that jointly and closely works with other key departments like the programs and advocacy, monitoring and evaluation, UYAHF ADH Clinic among others to deliver on UYAHF’s overall mandate.
The communication team is responsible for jointly working together to implement UYAHF’s communication strategy through developing strategic communication tools that range from audiovisual like; podcasts, videos, animations, infographics, comics, factsheets, blogs/articles and op-eds, monthly newsletters, policy briefs among others.
These communication materials are later disseminated through various communication channels like digital/social media, mass media as well as other channels like community engagement, policy dialogues, school outreaches, public notice boards, etc.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Communication intern/volunteers (4 positions)
Reporting to – Innovations, Communications, and documentation Officer
Working Hours: Part-time role – working 5 hours a day, Monday – Friday (May be requested to occasionally work over the weekend where necessary)
Compensation: monthly stipends.
Application deadline: Sunday, April 10th, 2022.
UYAHF’s communication strategy is designed to facilitate effective communication to a broad range of audiences within and outside Uganda through the strategic and timely flow of accurate information. This strategy is deliberately aligned with UYAHF’s Communication Strategy, which is aimed at supporting the delivery of the organization’s communication goals. The focus of the communication strategy is to strengthen the organization’s positioning and brand visibility at regional, sub-regional, national, and international levels.
The communications strategy was created with the goal of making UYAHF the most visible, recognized, and youth-led organization in Uganda. It was created to support the delivery and visibility of UYAHF’s programs, projects, campaigns, and interventions.
Currently UYAHF works in over 29 districts including; Kampala, Wakiso, Mbale, Tororo, Butalejja, Busia, Bukwo, Mororoto, Kotido, Napark, Nakapiripiriti, Abim, Kabong, Arua, Terego, Yumbe, Kyankwanzi, Kiryandongo, Bulisa, Kibale, Kyegegwa, Kyenjojo, Ntoroko, Fort Portal, Bundibugyo, Isingiro, Gomba, Kalangala, Butambale and Rakai.
(a)Purpose of assignment
Given the above background, particularly the goal of the communication strategy, the communication volunteers will support the communications officer currently running the communication and advocacy department to meet the increasing strategic communication demands and partner ambitions.
(b) Main duties and responsibilities in the assignment.
- Work with the communications officer and the program team to develop monthly communication action plans and reports.
- Develop weekly and monthly advocacy content calendars for running activities, projects, and campaigns.
- Work with and support the program team to identify and document project-specific impact/ success stories and ensure these are profiled through UYAHF’s various communication channels and donor reports.
- Understand and support the execution of UYAHF’s brand strategy and visibility.
- Write activity blogs and compile content for a monthly newsletter.
- Write and edit activity blogs/articles, op-eds, etc
- Design activity and campaign: graphic posters, fliers, and brochures.
- Produce infographics, comics, and promotional videos
- Working with the communication officer to take photos, capture interview videos and produce them into short, summary videos, especially during public events and outreach meetings.
- Work with the program team to support planning and organizing internal and public events as well as community and school outreach meetings in line with UYAHF’s advocacy priorities.
- Support live streaming of UYAHF events under the guidance of the communication officer
- Work closely with the communications officer to create activity and project/campaign-based social media engagement plans on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Create daily social media posts in line with project goals and share them on all the UYAHF social media platforms.
- Work with the advocacy team to develop and publish monthly comic series on various given topics.
- Work with the communication officer to prepare and share a monthly newsletter with key donors and partners detailing the month’s key highlights at UYAHF.
- Produce and share monthly podcasts on various topics
- Work with the communication officer to arrange for media coverage at all UYAHF events.
- Develop creative content scripts in line with SRHR that can be translated into short films.
- and any other duty as assigned by the communications officer.
NOTE: Equality, diversity, and inclusion are at the very heart of everything that UYAHF stands for.
UYAHF values the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage, and civil partnership, pregnancy, and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
We foster an organizational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights, and inclusion. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UYAHF’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
NB: It is important to note that volunteers are not paid monthly salaries, but rather a monthly stipend and there are quite a several field activities that are facilitated and, in the case of any internal opportunities, volunteers are given priority.